Scientific Data Council
About the Council
The NIH Scientific Data Council (SDC) is an internal NIH committee made up of senior NIH and Institute and Center (IC) leaders and data scientists. The SDC was created in 2013 and was constituted as part of a multifaceted expansion of NIH programs and governance related to data science. The SDC is intended to address, in a trans-NIH manner, the growing challenges and opportunities associated with “big data” and data science (broadly defined) in biomedical research, thereby improving data utilization by the research community so as to transform the impact of biomedical, clinical, and public health research.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary roles and responsibilities of the SDC are to provide broad, trans-NIH programmatic leadership in the area of data science by:
- Addressing emergent and ongoing needs related to biomedical data, which include, but are not limited to, areas such as data sustainability, data usability, and data security, and which are appropriate to address in a trans-NIH manner;
- Providing guidance on the infrastructure(s) needed to support (1);
- Developing an NIH Strategic Plan for Data Science, with input from NIH and IC leadership, HHS, scientists, policymakers, scientific and professional societies, and the general public;
- Serving in an advisory capacity to the Office of Data Science Strategy (ODSS) on data science, including on the implementation of the NIH Strategic Plan for Data Science;
- In consultation with the ODSS, establishing subcommittees and working groups necessary to implement the NIH Strategic Plan for Data Science;
- Providing guidance about the interaction of NIH data science activities with those across ICs and outside of NIH (e.g., of other government agencies, the private sector, and other funding agencies – private and public, national and international);
- Synergizing with the “parallel” NIH Administrative Data Council and Data Science Policy Council.
Jon Lorsch, Ph.D.
Director, National Institute of General Medical Sciences
Michael Chiang, M.D.
Director, National Eye Institute
Susan Gregurick, Ph.D. (Ex Officio)
Associate Director for Data Science, NIH
Director, Office of Data Science Strategy
Patti Brennan, R.N., Ph.D. (Ex Officio)
Director, National Library of Medicine
Josh Denny, M.D.
Chief Executive Officer, All of US, NIH
Robert Eisinger, Ph.D.
Acting Director, Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives, NIH
Greg Farber, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Technology Development and Coordination, National Institute of Mental Health
Eric Green, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, National Human Genome Research Institute
Michael Lauer, M.D. (Ex Officio)
Deputy Director for Extramural Research, NIH
Ivor D'Souza, Acting Director (Ex Officio)
Center for Information Technology
Chief Information Officer, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
Rebecca Rosen, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Data Science and Sharing, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Joni Rutter, Ph.D.
Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
Nina Schor, M.D., Ph.D. (Ex Officio)
Deputy Director for Intramural Research, NIH
Stephen Sherry, Ph.D.
Director, National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine
Rick Woychik, Ph.D.
Director, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Wilbert Van Panhuis, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Office of Data Science and Emerging Technologies, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Shu Hui Chen, Ph.D.
Program Director, Office of Data Science Strategy, NIH
This page last reviewed on January 24, 2023