About the STRIDES Initiative
Data generated via biomedical research continues to outpace the ability to process, store, and analyze in many local environments.
Going forward, NIH plans to leverage different capabilities of these commercial cloud service providers, and those of any future partners, to further realize NIH’s research mission.
The NIH Science and Technology Research Infrastructure for Discovery, Experimentation, and Sustainability (STRIDES) Initiative allows NIH to explore the use of cloud environments to streamline NIH data use by partnering with commercial providers. NIH’s STRIDES Initiative provides cost-effective access to industry-leading partners to help advance biomedical research. These partnerships enable access to rich datasets and advanced computational infrastructure, tools, and services.
The STRIDES Initiative is one of many NIH-wide efforts to implement the NIH Strategic Plan for Data Science, which provides a roadmap for modernizing the NIH-funded biomedical data science ecosystem.
By leveraging the STRIDES Initiative, NIH and NIH-funded institutions can begin to create a robust, interconnected ecosystem that breaks down silos related to generating, analyzing, and sharing research data. NIH-funded researchers with an active NIH award may take advantage of the STRIDES Initiative for their NIH-funded research projects. Eligible investigators include awardees of NIH contracts, other transaction agreements, grants, cooperative agreements, and other agreements.
Benefits of using the STRIDES Initiative as a vehicle to access STRIDES Initiative partners include:
- Discounts on STRIDES Initiative partner services—Favorable pricing on computing, storage, and related cloud services for NIH Institutes, Centers, and Offices (ICOs) and NIH-funded institutions.
- Professional services—Access to professional service consultations and technical support from the STRIDES Initiative partners.
- Training—Access to training for researchers, data owners, and others to help ensure optimal use of available tools and technologies.
- Potential collaborative engagements—Opportunities to explore methods and approaches that may advance NIH’s biomedical research objectives (with scope and milestones of engagements agreed upon separately).
At this time, the STRIDES Initiative supports programs/projects who want to prepare, migrate, upload, and compute on data in the cloud. In the future, the ability to access data across NIH and NIH-funded institutions from various research domain repositories will become available.
To learn more details about the STRIDES Initiative, enroll in training, or opt in to receive newsletters, visit the STRIDES Initiative website. Extramural institutions may find these Frequently Asked Questions useful. For further questions, the STRIDES Initiative team is available to help facilitate connection to cost-effective, cloud-based computing resources.
Services Provided Through the STRIDES Initiative
Ready to get started exploring NIH cloud resources? Through the STRIDES Initiative, NIH and NIH-funded institutions have access to discounts and credits on cloud services and tools. Additionally, shared services—such as consultation, cloud training, initial program/project setup, and reporting—are offered and managed by the NIH STRIDES Initiative team.
What are my responsibilities?
Each member of your team will play a role at some point during the process of using the STRIDES Initiative to access cloud resources. Whether you are program management staff, an awardee, or a funded academic institution, you will either be responsible for or have oversight on the activities conducted under the STRIDES Initiative.
These responsibilities include:
- Configuring and migrating your data to the cloud with assistance from the NIH STRIDES Initiative team and the STRIDES Initiative partners
- Managing your data environment in the cloud including setting policies for the environment and who can access your data
- Monitoring and controlling spending to avoid overages
- Maintaining your data once migrated to the cloud
- Ensuring that proper information security controls are in place and followed
- Providing training on your cloud environment appropriate for users and architects
- Working to make data FAIR as much as possible
The STRIDES Initiative offers support services to assist you in effectively using the available cloud resources. These include:
Coordination between STRIDES Initiative partners and your program/project
Initial Program/Project Setup Under the STRIDES Initiative
Office of Data Science Strategy Updates
This page last reviewed on May 19, 2021